Why Is Stretching So Important?
Spring is here, and Summer is on its way…that means more outside activities, working in the yard, hiking, playing sports and so much more. No matter what time of year it is, there are always things you do that require you to bend, twist, lift or reach. BE CAREFUL. These movements can be damaging to your joints, discs and muscles.
So before you don your gloves, your swimsuit or pick up the golf clubs, take the time to prepare your body, and that means take the time to do some simple stretching. This easy and quick preparation will help you avoid most common sprain and strain injuries. Stretching isn’t just for athletes…it’s for everyone.
Stretching is just as important as exercise…
If stretching is so important, why is it such a neglected part of our lives? Are you too busy to:
- Warm up and get ready for your activity
- Improve your flexibility
- Increase the blood flow, which carries nutrients to your muscles
- Improve your posture
- Decrease your risk of injury
- Improve performance
- Enable your muscles to work better
- Help your joints attain full range of motion
- Increases stamina
- Improve your energy levels
- Reduce your soreness
Suggestions for safe and effective stretching…
- Stretch slowly and deliberately before starting any physical activity.
- Take frequent breaks to minimize straining muscles that are working much harder than they normally do.
- Drink plenty of water. Hard work dehydrates your muscles making them vulnerable to injury.
- Stretching is not exercise…don’t aim for pain.
- Focus on muscles that may need to be strengthened.
- Stretch regularly, daily if possible.
- Lastly, stretch again before you sit down to relax.
For more detailed information about specific stretches Contact me for an appointment.
As a chiropractor I have the knowledge and experience to help you improve your conditioning to prepare yourself for your next weekend or everyday activity.