What are the Benefits of Natural Medicine vs. Pain Killers?
Pain Killers or Just Killers?
Recently news broadcasts have informed the public of how well-known pain killing drugs are proven to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, gastrointestinal problems, and liver disease. Many of the disclaimers of side effects sound worse than the pain you’re trying to get rid of.
If you’re in pain, you don’t need to run to the medicine cabinet, there are more natural pain killers that many of us don’t know about.
“Almost always, if we find pharmaceuticals doing the trick, we’ll find a plant doing the same trick—and doing it more safely,” – James A. Duke, The Green Pharmacy Guide to Healing Foods
Natural Pain Killers
There are several plants and essential oils that contain analgesic properties. (Analgesic meaning a substance that is know to have pain relieving properties)
- Lavender Oil – used in a bath will alleviate muscle and joint pain. Lavender will also help you sleep better which also reduces pain levels.
- Juniper Oil – aids in reducing joint and muscle pain associated with arthritis and fibromyalgia.
- Peppermint Oil – is helpful fighting the pain of headaches and migraines.
- Rosemary Oil – is also effective in fighting not only headaches, but muscle and joint pain.
- Eucalyptus Oil – works much the same as Juniper Oil, as well as being used for strains, sprains and nerve pain.
Foods and Herbs:
- Ginger – has strong anti-inflammatory properties and studies have shown that ginger relieves pain from arthritis.
- Krill Oil – Also a strong anti-inflammatory, krill oil works fast to stop associated pain.
- Cranberry Juice – helps destroy the bacteria that causes ulcers and urinary tract infections, thus stopping the associated pain.
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) – we all know the effects of eating turkey, a main source of tryptophan, we become sleepy…but did you know that it can also help treat headaches? Also containing tryptophan are tomatoes and walnuts. When we eat these foods, they naturally help boost the 5-HTP which is the pain killing agent. There are natural supplements of 5-HTP that may be needed to do a complete job.
Chiropractic Treatment for Pain
Practitioners of natural medicine have been warning our patients for years and offering safe and natural solutions to their pain. While there are many herbs and oils used to reduce inflammation and pain, hands on modalities like chiropractic adjustments are incredibly powerful pain relievers that remove dysfunction, which often is the underlying cause of pain.
Chiropractic care has always been associated with spinal manipulation, and it always will be, but it has also been recognized to be effective in treating:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Of course some people will want to take the drugs, and an occasional dose may not hurt, but these chemicals are powerful. Remember to ask yourself before taking the next over the counter painkiller, how might this drug be harming my body.
For more information on reducing pain through more natural and gentle ways, Contact me for a no charge consultation at my office.